For the tourist

Partner cities

INFORMATION ABOUT THE CITY:
It is one of the main mining centres of the Czech Republic, which, together with the surrounding cities, forms the industrial Ostrava-Karviná Basin. The discovery of rich coal deposits in this area led to the rapid development of Karviná.
The closest partner city of Jastrzębie-Zdrój, Karviná, favours both motorized tourists and those who get there by bike. Today Karviná is a city with over 56,000 inhabitants and is one of the main mining centres in the Czech Republic. This settlement by the Olza river, in the historic Cieszyn Silesia region, was created by joining the cities of Karviná and Fryštát and the villages of Darków, Raj and Stare Miasto – today’s integral parts of the city. Karviná is in many ways the equivalent of our city on the other side of the border - the mining industry, historic districts with magnificent historic buildings and a spa. The exception, however, is the fact that in Karviná, and more precisely in Darków, the spa is still operating today. Lázně Darkov, or Darków Zdrój, is now part of the city, which became famous thanks to the spa treatment facility founded in 1866. It is also worth seeing the historic spa house built at the beginning of the last century in the central part of the spa park. Nearby, by the Olza River, there is one more recognizable element of Karviná and Darków - the concrete Bohaterów Sokołowskich bridge, which is, in a way, the entrance to the spa complex. 
When going from the spa towards the central part of Karviná, you cannot miss the Bozena Nemcova castle park, where there is a historic Larisch gazebo made of materials from the dismantled Larisch tomb - including four magnificent sandstone columns. From here, it is only a few steps to the Fryštát Palace. The magnificent Karviná castle was originally a wooden stronghold of the Cieszyn Piasts. Restored and rebuilt in many styles, it finally presents itself as a specimen of buildings in the late Classicist Empire style. It is directly adjacent to the market square - the central place of Fryštát, i.e. a part of Karviná, which until 1948 was an independent city. In the central part of the square there is a five-meter fountain from 1900. There are also historic tenement houses with rich ornaments from the 18th and 19th centuries around the square, and the building of the 16th-century city hall with a stone tower. Many charming streets lead to the square, such as Masarykovo namesti, Zamecka or Fryštátska, which, especially in the evening, create a specific atmosphere in this part of the old city.

There are also many interesting sacred buildings in Karviná. Near the Fryštát Palace there is the 14th-century church of Exaltation of the Holy Cross, which, together with the statue of St. Patrick’s from 1749, picturesquely blend in with the neighbouring palace. It is also worth visiting the church of St. Mark, but most of all, while in Karviná, you should visit an unusual attraction of the region. The Church of St. Peter of Alcantara, not without reason, is often called the “Czech Pisa” because due to intense coal mining in this area, the earth began to collapse to such an extent that the baroque church tilted by 6.8° and is today known in the Czech Republic as the most crooked sacred object.


There are plenty of unique places in Karviná and the surrounding area, and as proof of this, tourists who are eager for sports and recreation can use many of the facilities which have been repurposed. The summer swimming pool with many attractions and the Lodenice holiday complex at the dead end of the Olza River are also sports and recreational facilities known to Jastrzębie residents.
 

Partnership agreement signed on: March 1, 1995

INFORMATION ABOUT THE CITY:
It is a “bedroom” for the Ostrava-Karviná Basin. For a long time, nothing indicated that a city would soon be built in the area of ​​several villages near Cieszyn (Szonów, Błędowice, Szumbark). Local people made a living mainly from agriculture, and their peaceful lifestyle contrasted with the atmosphere of the nearby cities and mining colonies.
The city of Havířov was granted city rights on December 4, 1955, so it is only slightly older than Jastrzębie-Zdrój. As with Jastrzębie, the construction of mining settlements was the main factor contributing to the creation of the miner’s city, i.e. Havířov, in the area of the villages of Szumbark, Błędowice Dolne, Sucha Środa and Szonów. In the language of our southern neighbours, Haviř means a miner - in the Cieszyn dialect, a miner is similarly referred to as a “hawiarz”. The people responsible for choosing the name for the newly created settlement must have had a hard time because the proposals for participation in the public competition were unbelievable and complicated. Among the names such as: Budosociokolektivov, Gottwaldův Horníkov, Bezručovy Novoměstské Baně, and even Stalin, a decision was made to name it Havířov. Today it is worth visiting a few interesting places there.
It is worth starting a trip around this city with 76,000 inhabitants from the main square called the Havířov market. Náměstí Republiky is a well-kept, large square in the central part of Havířov. There is a noteworthy and clearly visible gate with a water spring and a pendulum. The new architectural feature that adorns the city centre today was selected by residents in a public art competition in 2003. The authors of the nine-meter pendulum, which is to be a symbol of the passing time, are Stefan Milkov and Karel Holub. From this place, it is best to take the main artery of the city towards the train station, because it is on Main Street (Hlavní třída) that you will always find a place worth visiting. A large section of this part of the city is part of the protected historic zone of Sorela. The centre of Havířov, which was built in the mid-twentieth century in the style of socialist realism, was declared a historic zone in 1992, the name of which today is an abbreviation of the above-mentioned style. Here, it is worth stopping by the Radość cinema, which is one of the most typical buildings in this historic zone. It was here that in 1955 the city was given its insignia, and today a cultural centre operates here. A few hundred meters away is the church of St. Anna, which, together with the castle located on the opposite side of the church, welcomes people entering the city centre from Ostrava.
The aforementioned castle was built in the Empire style. Its history dates back to the 15th century, when a fortress was supposed to be located in this place. In 1997, as a result of gradual devastation, the building underwent a thorough restoration. The castle reopened its doors at the beginning of 1998 and today it looks great, especially in the vicinity of a small but very picturesque park. The picturesque Łucyna, that is the river flowing through Havířov, was proclaimed a natural monument in 1992. The main subject of this protection is the unregulated course of the river, which runs through numerous river bends in several-metre-deep silt sections. In this way, the untamed river has the possibility of further development of river meanders, which constantly change their location and shape, which is a great treat for enthusiasts of nature trips. Ethnographic enthusiasts will also find something for themselves - Kotulova drevenka, or Kotula Cottage, is one of the oldest preserved wooden folk buildings in Cieszyn Silesia. The exhibition in Kotula Cottage presents the interior design and way of life at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries in the central part of Cieszyn Silesia.

Finally, all visitors of this charming place should be present at one event - the annual festival of “Havířov in flowers”, which was held for the first time in 1973. The event attracting crowds of not only florist enthusiasts is a great celebration of the city during which you can see, among others: a colourful parade, sculptures and pictures of flowers created directly in front of the audience, but also take part in numerous competitions and concerts.

Partnership agreement signed on: April 12, 1997

INFORMATION ABOUT THE CITY:
It is a commune in France in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region in the Nord department, which is an important industrial area of France that developed in the 19th century. The local industry has been transforming itself since the second half of the 20th century - unprofitable mines have been closed and new industries are being developed.
It is a city and commune in France, in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region, in the Nord department - it is located in the northern part of France, near the Belgian border. It is a lively and dynamically developing city, where social and economic life flourishes, and many exceptional associations operating, among others, in terms of culture and sport, additionally stimulate the city’s development. 
Tourcoing is inhabited by almost 94,000 residents - it is the fourth largest city in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region. It has an area of 3,734 ha.
85% of the Tourcoing commune is located in an architectural and urban protection zone.
38.7% of the city’s population are people under the age of 25, and slightly more than 16% are over the age of 60.
Apart from Jastrzębie-Zdrój, Tourcoing’s partner cities include: Mouscron (Belgium), Berlin Mitte, Bottrop, Mühlhausen (Germany), Rochdale (Great Britain), Biella (Italy) and Guimarães (Portugal).

Tourcoing is situated 10 kilometres north-east of Lille, and less than 300 km from the great European capitals of Paris, London, Brussels and Amsterdam.
The capital of France can be reached by train in 1.5 hours and Brussels in approx. 40 minutes, while the journey to Lille takes only 15 minutes.
Tourcoing also has a metro and tram network - we will get to Lille, where the airport is located, in about half an hour.
 

Partnership agreement signed on: December 14, 2007

INFORMATION ABOUT THE CITY:
A city in north-western Germany, in the North Rhine-Westphalia region. Ibbenbüren is a developing economic city. As a result of the revitalization of buildings between 1967-1985, a modern centre was created with the characteristic “Roter Platz” and “Alter Posthof”.
The city of Ibbenbüren is located in the northern part of Germany (Rhineland and Westphalia) near Münster and Osnabrück. It covers an area of 108.85 km2, and it has  51 thousand inhabitants. It has a good rail connection to the transit road that connects Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport with Berlin. It is 25 km south of the Münster/Osnabrück International Airport near Greven.
Ibbenbüren is a developing economic city. As a result of the revitalization of the buildings between 1967-1985, a modern centre was created with the characteristic “Roter Platz” and “Alter Posthof”. Small trade also plays an important role in the city, the supply function of which extends beyond Ibbenbüren. Thanks to this, Ibbenbüren has become a symbol of a business and management centre with a developed economic life. The mining industry of coking coal enriched with anthracite plays an important role in the city. In this respect, Ibbenbüren is one of the most significant cities in Germany. It is home to one of the deepest coal deposits in Europe (1,545 BSL). Since 1994, the city has been trying to strengthen its service sector. The city is governed by the mayor, Heinz Steingröver, and the City Council with 44 administrative seats. The city of Ibbenbüren collaborates with partner cities such as: Gordon (France), Hellendoorn (Netherlands), Prievidza (Slovakia) and Rosslau in Saxony (Germany). Jastrzębie-Zdrój can be compared to Ibbenbüren due to its geographical location, surrounding green areas, distance from the industrial centre and, above all, the existence of active mining.
Contact with the city of Ibbenbüren is maintained by Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa S.A., which cooperates with Deutsche Steinkohle AG in the field of mining. In April 2006, a letter was sent to the mayor of Ibbenbüren expressing the will to establish cooperation between Ibbenbüren and the city of Jastrzębie-Zdrój as partner cities. In September 2006, the mayor of Ibbenbüren also expressed his interest in establishing cooperation in a letter. A continuation of the established contacts was a study trip to Ibbenbüren, attended by Marian Janecki, Mayor of Jastrzębie-Zdrój, Tadeusz Sławik, the chairman of the City Council and representatives of Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa S.A. During the visit, representatives of the city of Jastrzębie-Zdrój had the opportunity to meet the City Council and see the city of Ibbenbüren.
 

Partnership agreement signed on: May 15, 2009

INFORMATION ABOUT THE CITY:
Located in Slovakia, Prievidza is the fifth partner city of Jastrzębie Zdrój. On May 15, 2009, Mayor Marian Janecki and Mayor Ján Bodnár officially signed a partnership agreement. Thus, the parties declared their willingness to cooperate and take the necessary steps for the development of entrepreneurship, environmental protection, as well as the exchange of experiences between institutions and organizations in the field of education, art, culture, sport and tourism.
The city of Prievidza is situated by the Nitra River in the Trenčín Region, at the foot of the Strazov Mountains. It covers an area of 43.06 km2, and it has over 50 thousand inhabitants. The Metropolis of Upper Nitra - Prievidza - is a city with a rich history, which was started by the community inhabiting the Marian Hill. It was continued by groups of craftsmen who, thanks to their skills and dexterity, have made a permanent mark on the pages of history. The process of development and important socio-political changes brought many difficulties to Prievidza, the culmination of which was the so-called Velvet Revolution in the late 1980s. These changes brought a breath of freedom and democracy with them. The first free elections to the local government of Prievidza were held in 1990.
The city is the administrative centre of the region, which houses state offices, directorates of major enterprises, representative offices of private companies, as well as banking and financial institutions and a centre of education, including higher education. There are many cultural, educational and social institutions and associations. Within its borders, Prievidza has many green areas, thanks to which it holds the title of one of the greenest cities in Slovakia. At the same time, it is the city with the largest commercial space per resident, with a clearly marked commercial network, which proves the city’s significant share in the economy not only at the regional but also national level.
The city is governed by a mayor, Katarína Macháčková, and the City Council. Prievidza has so far established partnerships with the following cities: Ibbenburen (Federal Republic of Germany), Śumperk (Czech Republic), Luserna San Giovanni (Italy), Valjevo (Serbia).
Contact with the city of Prievidza was established through the city of Ibbenburen - since 2007, the partner city of Jastrzębie Zdrój. In a letter dated November 20, 2007, the mayor of Prievidza, Jan Bodnar, expressed his willingness to establish a partnership with the city of Jastrzębie-Zdrój, at the same time inviting a delegation from Jastrzębie-Zdrój to visit Prievidza to get to know each other and discuss the terms of establishing cooperation.
In response, the authorities of our city expressed in writing their initial willingness to establish cooperation as partner cities and to visit Prievidza. The contacts established were continued with a study trip to Prievidza in June 2008, attended by representatives of the city authorities and the City Council.

Cooperation Act signed on: August 28, 2017 

INFORMATION ABOUT THE CITY:

Borschiv is a city in western Ukraine, the seat of the region in the Tarnopol Province. It is located 105 km south of Tarnopol, 453 km southwest of Kyiv. It is situated by the Niczława River.
The first mention of the village comes from 1456. In 1565 the owners were the Borschivs of an unknown coat of arms [2]. In 1629, Borschiv obtained city rights and the coat of arms of the Vasa - Sheaf. At that time, the city had ramparts and there was also a castle built to protect it from attacks by the Tatars. In 1655, the Khmelnytsky Cossack army entered Borschiv along with Russian troops. In 1763, the church of St. Trinity was erected. After the First Partition of Poland, the city became part of Austria and of the Chortkiv District. In 1785, the Austrian authorities confirmed the city rights of Borschiv. In 1867, the city was established as a poviat seat, which contributed to the acceleration of its development. At the end of the 19th century, there were, among others, a clothing factory, a tobacco factory and a paper mill. On July 7, 1919, the city was seized by the Polish army. In the Second Polish Republic, the city was the seat of the Borschiv Poviat in the Tarnopol Voivodeship. Due to the proximity of the USSR border, the “Borschiv” Frontier Guard Corps battalion was stationed in Borschiv.
On September 17, 1939, the Soviet army entered the city, and on July 8, 1941, the city was occupied by the Hungarian army. From August 1941, the city was taken over by the German occupation administration. During the German occupation, there was a ghetto in Borschiv, to which Jews from nearby cities were brought. By August 1943, about 4,500 of them were shot at the Jewish cemetery.
In Borschiv, you can see the parish church of St. Trinity from 1763, built with a layout in the form of a cross in the place of the former castle, the monument of Adam Mickiewicz from 1898 next to the church or the Church of the Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary from 1886. Many will be interested in the ruins of the local castle.